Sunday, July 27, 2014

初めての映画祭!My first participation in Eiga Sai

Just this morning, I woke up earlier than usual and prepared myself to go to Abreeza Ayala Mall, where free screening of few Japanese movies was held. Abreeza was just one of the two venues for this year’s Japanese Film Festival (Eiga Sai). Thanks to The Japan Foundation for making this event possible, continuing the yearly cultural exchange between Japan and Filipinos through movies which deepen our understanding and strengthen the bonds and friendship of the people. Eiga Sai 2014 movies revolve around the theme “family”.

It was my first time to participate in this rare event, considering that it only happens once a year. I couldn’t let the chance slip by again, even if I had the option to just watch those movies at home or with friends. I am not a movie theatre person, but when I heard Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (おおかみこどもの雨と雪) is one of the movies to be shown, I couldn’t help but be curious of the people’s reactions. I had already watched the movie last year for quite a few times.  I couldn’t get enough of it. I think I can even watch it many times again without the subtitles. It’s just too adorable. It’s my favorite anime movie at the moment.

Hosoda Mamoru's Wolf Children. Photo not mine.
So why would I watch it again in a confined space full of people? I was initially conflicted. A side of me was already content that I had already watched it. The other was really curious of what other people, especially those who would watch it for the first time, would think. I was imagining if people would laugh at the scenes I found funny, go “awww” at the heart-warming scenes, or scream “kyaaaa~” at the hinted romance. When I put myself surrounded by people in that dark place and hear their raw reactions, I almost lost contact with reality. My mind was drifting away in excitement. It was a 30-70 tug-of-war of these two choices. Basically, the latter choice won, and that’s how I ended up going to the cinema for once.

I met up with some senpai from the university. As early as 10AM, the opening of the mall, free tickets for the two movies of the third day of Eiga Sai at Abreeza were being distributed. I thankfully had my senpai get one for me while they were waiting for the doors to open. The first movie was Wolf Children, which started at 10:30 AM. It was about 2 hours long. The second movie was Like Father, Like Son (そして父になる). As expected, hearing the raw reactions and funny remarks was a fun experience, aside from the satisfaction from watching the two good movies.
Photo not mine


Eiga Sai 2014 is not yet over for those who live in Davao. Read this external post for more info. Although I hope to enjoy more of the Eiga Sai this year has to offer, but I barely escaped from the other stuff I had to do just to watch today. Nonetheless, I am really happy and satisfied with my decision. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!